UO Thief | Barter Town
Through continued stories by members and myself--often times featuring Barter Town--in the year of 2009 we were recruiting more
people to Siege Perilous than anyone else, including NEW. I make this statement based on (the few) guild membership reports of NEW
made by Shalimar versus our own sightings of fresh faces around town. I saw and talked to an average of 2 people every week who
were brand new to the shard. These people were just poking their faces around town or working in the mines wearing hats. In
fact, if you take the 50 or so THIEF members not originally from Siege and add that to 2 Visitors x 75 Weeks on Siege, I don't
think it's unreasonable to conclude that in a year-and-a-half, through Barter Town, we attracted hundreds of people to Siege Perilous.
~ Barter Town ~
- Guild Tower - Serving as the guild headquarters as well as the town center, it features a public mailbox and
private library and it has been scientifically proven to be the only place on Siege Perilous where dreams come true. (I swear.)
- Barter Town Mines - Located in our backyard, the mines were naturally part of Barter Town from the
start. The mines are considered private property. Miners are required to wear a jester hat at all times. Failure to do
so will result in harsh measures (such as The Six Step Protocol).
The rumor mongers would have you believe all we did was kill miners all day, every day. What they would conveniently leave
out is the fact that miners who comply with town law may be subject to a friendly "hello," a pleasant conversation, a
neighborly "goodbye," and then left to mine in peace. (The horror!) **They would also leave out the part where there have
always been at least 10 times as many people wearing hats versus those who refused.
- Barter Town Stables - The stables are multi-functional in that they provide a place for recruits to store their pack horses
(to train stealing) in addition to providing adequate protection for outsiders prior to Barter Town events (as seen in
Episode 182 and
Episode 297). Remember that this is one of the only locations in town
protected by town guards.
- Free Loot Crate - Located on the steps of the Thieves Den, the Free Loot Crate is designed to be a public container.
It's continuously stocked with fresh armor, weapons, and gear for new players. The Free Loot Crate has always been one of the most
popular attractions around town.
- Shrine of Larceny - Donated by Corpse, located on a tiny, public, patch of land, the Shrine of Larceny is open to
anyone and everyone to resurrect upon death.
- Lost & Found - Stocked with treasures of all shapes and sizes, the Lost & Found is home to a
handful of vendors usually stocked with items originating from all corners of the world. (a.k.a. "The Forgery" or simply,
"The Vendor House")
- Thunderdome Casino? - The greatest casino Siege Perilous never saw. The casino wasn't built for reasons
described in Epilogue 304.
- Residential Houses - All other Barter Town houses not specifically referenced above are
considered residential houses and therefore, private property.
- Gateway to North Minoc - Anyone choosing to travel between Minoc and North Minoc by foot is required to travel through
Barter Town... sometimes leading to dire consequences (as seen in Episode 174).
Copyright © 2009-2011 uothief.com All Rights Reserved